Buniga Batwa Forest Trail

Buniga Batwa Cultural Trail


The Buniga Forest Trail showcases the symbiotic relationship the Batwa pygmies had with the Bwindi jungle before they were ousted to turn the forest into a protected reserve. To reveal their unique heritage and traditions to the world, the Batwa people, through their community organization NCCDF take tourists into their small pocket forests, showcasing their historical nomadic cultures when they occupied the jungles.

Guests walk an hour to a Batwa-enacted settlement. Here, they'll observe how the women prepare, cook and serve a meal. They'll engage with medicine men, learn about the lush forest flora's medicinal properties, and hear ancient legends and traditional songs. They'll learn about the Batwa's fascinating way of life, from religion to their food gathering and hunting techniques, and how they made fires from rubbing sticks.  

The Buniga Forest Walk provides the means for the Batwa to preserve and earn an income from their culture and heritage. The forest walk is a source of employment for the Batwa guides with employment and enable women sell their crafts to the visitors.

Plants and animals on the trail

Prepare to be amazed by the rich diversity of flora and fauna in the Buniga pocket forest. This lush forest is home to many indigenous plant species with medicinal benefits to both the Batwa and local community, such as the Giant lobelias, tree ferns, and Syzygium, which provide food to Chimpanzees.

Birding enthusiasts will also delight in the diverse birdlife of the Buniga forest, with over 100 species of birds identified within and near to the forest. The forest trail allows visitors to sit and listen to the beautiful songs of these feathered friends. And that's not all – the forest is also a habitat for many mammal species, including Duikers, Black and white colobus monkeys, and Chimpanzees.

By visiting the Buniga forest, you're experiencing its beauty and contributing to important conservation and development projects in the local community. 70% of the fee you pay for the experience goes to NCCDF, which employs your guides and operates local community conservation and development projects. The remaining 30% goes to the Kisoro Local Government, which owns the Buniga Forest.